The Maintenance Assistant ensures everything is in good repair and working condition on the whole campus. Works with all areas of the organization to address maintenance and related needs. Performs maintenance activities or identifies need to hire outside vendors for maintenance and repairs. Assist to ensure that all clients and staff are in a safe and working environment.
- Perform basic repairs to the shelter such as plumbing, electrical fixtures, broken appliances/equipment and other minor repairs
- Provide maintenance to interior and exterior of the shelter including painting, carpentry, grounds clean-up, and new equipment/furniture installation.
- General janitorial task including mopping and cleaning of all floors and stairs, empty trash cans (replacing liners and cleaning receptacles when needed) in common area and offices.
- Bathroom coordination/clean up (i.e. mop floors, restock toilet paper, paper towels and hand soap)
- Change light bulbs and HVAC filters as needed
- Pick up supplies and donations for the shelter as needed
- Reports to Facilities Manager any concerns that need repairs and if needed secures the area to reduce risk of injury by client or staff.
- General maintenance skills such as plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and equipment maintenance
- Have and maintain valid Texas Driver’s License and clean driving record
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds.
- Tasks may involve bending, lifting and carrying heavy items.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to be flexible and work under time constraints.
- Capable of working independently and using problem solving skills.
Additional Experience a Plus
- License in plumbing, HVAC, electrical or related trade