Austin Street Center is a housing-focused shelter, because we know that in order to survive a person needs safe shelter, but to thrive they need a home. Our dedicated case management team’s mission is to help each client seeking services at Austin Street Center to move out of the shelter and into a home as quickly and permanently as possible. Each case manager will walk through the housing coordination journey with their assigned caseload and assist them as they access the resources necessary to end their homelessness.
We are looking for a smart problem-solver with exceptional customer service skills who can engage and motivate people who often suffer from various physical, mental, and behavioral challenges with unfailing compassion, clarity, and consistency through what can be a long and complicated journey back to home.
- Housing-Focused Assessment: document evaluations of homelessness history and vulnerabilities using evidence-based assessment tools.
- Individualized Case Management: draft a Right Now Move-Out Plan to create an individualized strategy for each client to exit homelessness as quickly and permanently as possible.
- Resource Procurement: assist clients to obtain critical documents, income, and housing resources necessary to relocate them to a safe, decent, and affordable housing solution appropriate to their needs.
- Data Entry and Quality Management: document all services in the local Homeless Management Information System, including case notes and client enrollment and exit information with minimal missing data.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, sociology, or other human services field
- Valid Texas Driver’s License
- Ability to lift 25-40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting, and carrying heavy items.
- Excellent customer service skills, especially when working with people with communication challenges and impairments
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to innovate and embrace best practices in shelter and housing services delivery
- Ability to adapt to change
- Ability to communicate clearly with outside providers and partners, especially health care providers
Additional Experience a Plus
- Three or more years of successful work or volunteer experience in homeless services
- Master’s Degree in human services field, especially in social work
- Licensure in a human services discipline (LCDC, LBSW, or LMSW)
- Bilingual in Spanish
- Training in Housing First, Motivational Interviewing, the Transtheoretical Model of Change, Harm Reduction, and/or Trauma-Informed Care
- U.S. Military service
Strong applications will include a cover letter which details how the applicant demonstrates the character qualities required for excellent performance in this position.