For more than 35 years, Austin Street Center has specialized in caring for the most vulnerable homeless men and women in Dallas. Beyond meeting basic needs, Austin Street is committed to individualized care for each person who comes to us for help. Our goal is that every homeless person who comes to Austin Street Center finds hope, support, and the resources they need to transition out of homelessness.
Your role will support the mission thorough the following actions:
- Support shelter with a mindset of kindness, trustworthiness and empowerment for those that we serve
- Be aware of Client(s) particular circumstances (e.g. health concerns, peak stress time, emotional difficulties, problems, etc.)
- At times require you to be resourceful and have the ability to make decisions in a timely efficient manner using the training and guidance you have been given.
- Recognize that diversity of culture, personality, and life experience are ingredients for a better world.
- Demonstrate experience with sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
- Communicate with Client(s) and team member(s) with a positive and willing attitude to help
- Flexibility to learn at all times and recover with poise and ease from setbacks.
- Understand and abide by the confidentiality standards of the organization.
- Ensure that all health and safety standards are followed and corrected when needed
- Provide a safe environment, shelter and meet the basic needs of most vulnerable homeless
- Independently manage time with little supervision.
- Ability to multitask, handle on-site crisis and adapt to the changing needs of the clients.
- Acceptance of agency philosophies of providing hope, support and the resources needed to transition out of homelessness.
- Able to develop and maintain positive working relationships with clients, staff and community contacts and able to effectively address and resolve conflict as needed
- Ability to work respectfully with diverse teams, build consensus, and motivate change
The DCP Sr. Project Coordinator is responsible for coordinating passenger transportation services (scheduling, route planning, supervising and directing drivers) for the Dallas Connector Project. The DCP is a no-charge transportation program designed to assist low-income and/or homeless individuals in traveling to and from pre-determined locations on a series of loops within the Dallas city limits daily (Monday – Friday). The DCP also provides on-demand transportation services for persons experiencing homeless during special circumstances such as inclement weather (sustained temperatures below 36 degrees) and encampment closures. The DCP Sr. Project Coordinator will supervise transportation specialists (drivers) and on-board outreach worker. The DCP Sr. Project Coordinator will gather pertinent information and organize the information for weekly and monthly reports to be submitted to the Sr. Director of Operations and DCP Board of Governors. The individual in this position must be experienced in supervision, project management and project coordination. The DCP Sr. Coordinator will report directly to the Senior Director of Operations.
- Oversee the daily operations of the Dallas Connector Project (to include but not limited to managing staff, schedules, inquiries, reporting and vehicle maintenance).
- Create and submit detailed monthly report with backup documentation for program reimbursement.
- Ensure data is being properly obtained and reported by Outreach Worker
- Weekly supervision meetings with Outreach worker and Transportation Specialist
- Respond to phone and email inquiries regarding Dallas Connector
- Create modify (as needed) and distribute Dallas Connector monthly schedule
- Track work attendance by DCP staff, review and approve timesheets on a bi weekly basis.
- Assist drivers and on-board outreach workers in linking passengers to available public resources (i.e. emergency shelters, government agencies, local health programs, etc.).
- Ensure drivers and outreach workers are trained in providing professional and courteous assistance to the passengers on their vehicles.
- Assist drivers and on-board outreach workers in reporting illegal and unsafe behavior by passengers as well as accidents involving passenger and/or Austin Street Center vehicles to the proper authorities. Ensure drivers and on-board outreach workers complete and submit complete and accurate incident reports.
- Participate in all mandatory meetings of Austin Street Center, as well as the DCP program including, but not limited to, staff meetings. DCP Board of Governor Meetings and training events.
- Assist Sr. Director of Operations in preparing presentations (i.e. PowerPoint presentations, handouts, etc.), filing and maintaining records.
- Ability to work occasional flexible hours as requested.
- Serve as Back up Driver for vehicles when needed.
Skills / Requirements:
- College Degree Preferred/ High school diploma or GED required.
- Two (2) or more years of experience in a similar role within a for-profit or non-profit setting.
- Class B License with Passenger Endorsement or acquire the license within the first 6 months of employment.
- Must have current CPR/First Aid certification or acquire certification within the first 12 months of employment.
- Must have excellent computer skills and be proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to operate a mobile phone using calendar and navigation functions.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred