Hours: Between 10:00am – 6:00pm, Monday – Friday (34 hours per week)
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Shelter Services
Term of Service: September 3, 2019 – December 20, 2019
***Please note that this is an AmeriCorps service position and not direct employment with Austin Street Center. All applications for this position must be reviewed and approved by CitySquare AmeriCorps, and service opportunities are limited to the length of time listed in this posting.***
Homelessness is a confusing and stressful experience, and navigating the services necessary to end homelessness takes people who are smart, determined, and compassionate to walk the journey of recovery with our clients. The Shelter Navigation Specialist expands the impact of our Shelter Services team by greeting clients upon their first entry into the shelter and assisting them to access the services they need to end their homelessness as quickly and permanently as possible. This position will combine significant administrative tasks such as data entry, routing and filing forms, and researching resource with people-oriented work such as interviewing clients, performing screenings and assessments, and providing individualized direction to resources within and around the shelter. Are you looking to expand your worldview and see what life is really like for the poorest and most vulnerable neighbors among us? Do you want to work with a team innovating to design and implement helpful and sustainable solutions to some of society’s biggest problems? This may be the right fit for you!
• Shelter Support services, including performing client intake, sorting and posting mail received, and providing general services such as referrals and letters of residency to assist clients in completing their move-out plan.
• Program Support services, including logging program participation, keeping caseloads current, performing quality control checks on client volunteer assignments, and making check-in calls to update community housing resources.
• Shelter Navigation services, including assisting clients in obtaining food stamps, state benefits, and identification cards, as well as other items critical to our clients obtaining housing as quickly and permanently as possible.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• High School Diploma or GED
• Valid Texas Driver’s License or State ID
• Ability to lift 25-40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting, and carrying heavy items.
• Customer service skills, especially when working with “difficult” customers
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Intermediate ability in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Additional Experience a Plus
• Work or volunteer experience in the homeless services field
• Bilingual in Spanish
• College coursework in Human Services field (psychology, sociology, social work, etc.)
• CPR-AED-First Aid Training
• Military service
Qualified Individuals: Please apply at www.citysquare.org/becomeamember/ and state in your application that you want to work at Austin Street Center! No phone calls, please.