Days and Hours: Monday – Friday 10pm – 7am
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Safety & Security
Program: Emergency Shelter for Homeless Men and Women
The Safety Officer will oversee safety and security in the afternoon and evening, and assist with operations of Austin Street Center. This role requires being available to intervene in conflict or crisis situations in a calm and appropriate manner, and is responsible for maintaining documentation and ensuring the smooth operation of the shelter during the assigned hours. This position is responsible for making Austin Street run efficiently by performing a wide variety of duties to oversee the orderliness, safety, security of the facility, and ensuring the rules and policies of the shelter are followed. This role also involves supporting other staff in completion of their duties as needed.
• Contribute to maintaining a safe and healing environment for all clients.
• Manage security during the client intake process, including baggage screening and pat-downs.
• Check for valid ID and ensure all clients who enter the building check-in
• Maintain a proper access control of entrances.
• Assess and respond to resident crises or conflicts. Manage conflicts as they occur, document conflicts, and monitor resident incidents.
• Independently assess the need for external assistance, and interact with emergency personnel, as needed.
• Assess and manage emergencies according to Austin Street’s emergency protocol. Monitor the safety and security of the shelter. Call law enforcement and professional medical assistance when necessary.
• Address client concerns to resolve issues to the best interest of the clients and according to policies at Austin Street Center.
• Assist Director of Safety & Security with various administrative tasks, as needed
• Facilitate the communication of client needs to Sr. Director of Operations, Director of Safety & Security and Client Services Manager
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Required:
• Have and maintain valid Texas Driver’s License
• Have and maintain a clean driving record
• Ability to lift 25 – 40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting and carrying heavy items.
• Consistently interact with all clients, staff, and visitors with dignity, respect, and professionalism.
• Knowledge of proper safety practices and procedures.
• Acceptance of agency philosophies and guidelines.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to be flexible and work well under time constraints.
• Demonstrate experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes.
• Ability to function as a team player.
• Capable of working independently and using problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrate a high level of integrity.
Additional Experience a Plus:
• Security License with experience
• CPR – AED – First Aid
• Public Safety – Emergency Management – First Responder experience
• Crisis/Hostile/De-escalation Training
• Social work or community outreach
In this and any position at Austin Street Center, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperative spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Austin Street Center services.
Qualified Individuals: Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Austin Street Center is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.