Hours: 10:00am – 6:00pm, Monday – Friday
Immediate Supervisor: Assistant Director of Education and Employment
Program: Emergency shelter for homeless men and women
At Austin Street, we know someone needs four critical things to get off the streets and into a home: identification, income, information, and inspiration! For our clients who are looking to get employment, a job can be very difficult to find. A tough criminal background, poor work history, or just the stress of the job search process can put incredible roadblocks in the way. The Career Coach assists such clients to make the job search process as seamless and user-friendly as possible to help them get employment as fast as possible. This position will be the compassionate face of Austin Street, both to clients with high barriers who wish to find employment and housing, and to outside partners wishing to assist those clients. We are looking for a computer-savvy, energetic person with out-of-this-world customer service skills who is as comfortable conversing with stressed-out, vulnerable homeless clients as they are with a professional in a pantsuit. Does this describe you? If so, you might be a great fit for Austin Street!
- Assist clients to gain digital literacy through individual and group training in our computer lab
- Complete employment screenings, job plans, and connect clients to outside employment partners
- Ensure all employment-related services are logged appropriately into our record-keeping system
- Deliver employment-based skills training and supportive services to clients enrolled in the Education and Employment Resource Center
- Meet with housed clients looking for work in their homes to draft and execute individualized plans to quickly obtain employment
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Texas Driver’s License or State ID
- Ability to lift 25-40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting, and carrying heavy items.
- Customer service skills, especially when working with “difficult” customers
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
Additional Experience a Plus:
- Work or volunteer experience in the homeless services field
- Professional experience in staffing, human resources, or business-related fields
- Bilingual in Spanish
- College coursework in Human Services field (psychology, sociology, social work, etc.)
- CPR-AED-First Aid Training
Austin Street Center is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.