Hours: 15-20 hours/week, including a 4-hour shift on Saturday or Sunday
Immediate Supervisor: Assistant Director of Women’s Services
Program: Emergency shelter for homeless men and women
The Licensed Professional Counselor-Intern will assist in the weekly operations of the Sisterhood Housing Coordination Program, which assists women with a history of violent trauma to end their homelessness as quickly and permanently as possible. They will provide individual and group therapy for up to 40 women in crisis as well as provide indirect services, such as phone calls and assisting the Sisterhood Case Manager and Sisterhood House Manager as needed. The ideal applicant will have experience working with those who have been impacted by trauma and/or homelessness and one who is comfortable speaking in front of a crowd. This person must have the ability to set compassionate boundaries and remain flexible in a very demanding environment.
• Group Therapy: conduct two 90-minute groups per week pertaining to trauma, homelessness, mental health, coping skills, anger management, etc.
• Individual Therapy: have an ongoing caseload of no less than 10 clients seen on a weekly basis for 45-50 minutes each week to deal with their past and current trauma
• Data entry and quality management: document all services in the local HMIS system, including case notes
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s Degree in human services field, preferably in psychology, sociology, or social work
• Master’s Degree in human services field, especially in counseling or social work
• Valid Texas Driver’s License
• Customer service skills, especially when working with “difficult” customers
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
Additional Experience a Plus:
• At least two years of work or volunteer experience in homeless services
• At least two years of experience working with women in trauma due to intimate partner violence and/or homelessness
Qualified Individuals: Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Austin Street Center is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.