Days /Hours: Wednesday – Sunday/ 10:00 p.m. – 6:00 a.m.
Immediate Supervisor: Assistant Director of Operations
Program: Emergency Shelter for Homeless Men and Women
Founded in 1983, Austin Street Center provides emergency shelter and meets the basic need of the most vulnerable people experiencing homelessness in Dallas.
The Front Desk Staff oversees operations of Austin Street Center during the day and evening hours, ensuring the smooth operation of the shelter during the assigned hours and managing events and activities that occur during the shift. This position involves a wide variety of duties to oversee the orderliness, safety, and cleanliness of the shelter. This position must be available to assist Security and support them in the event of conflict or crisis situations and to maintain a safe, secure environment during the day.
• Manage daily schedule for clients and staff, including making announcements, helping clients access services each day, and assisting visitors and volunteers
• Serve as the main point of contact for clients needing services – handing out hygiene supplies, answering questions, managing sign-up sheets for services, and enforcing shelter policies and procedures
• Assist with intake/bed assignments for clients
• Answer front desk phone and provide appropriate assistance to callers
• Assist other shelter staff with various administrative tasks, as needed
• Contribute to a safe & healing environment for all clients
• Assist Security in response to resident crises or conflicts and document all incidents
• Assess and manage emergencies according to Austin Street’s emergency protocol
• Call law enforcement and professional medical assistance when necessary
• Address client concerns to resolve issues to the best interest of the residents and Austin Street
• Keep a daily log of activities and prepare weekly status reports
• Maintain supply area at the front desk, keeping items in-stock and organized
• Facilitate the communication of client needs to appropriate Director.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Required:
• Have and maintain valid Texas Driver’s License
• Have and maintain a clean driving record
• Ability to lift 25 – 40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting and carrying heavy items
• Acceptance of agency philosophies and guidelines
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to be flexible and work under time constraints
• Demonstrate experience with and sensitivity to varying cultural, ethnic, and social backgrounds, values, and attitudes
• Ability to function as a team player
• Capable of working independently and using problem solving skills
• Possess high level of integrity & be a strong team player
Additional Experience a Plus:
• CPR – AED – First Aid
• Crisis/Hostile/De-escalation Training
• Social work or community outreach
Austin Street Center is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.