Hours: Between 11:30am – 7:30pm, Monday – Friday (34 hours per week)
Immediate Supervisor: Assistant Director of Education and Employment
Term of Service: September 3, 2019 – December 20, 2019
***Please note that this is an AmeriCorps service position and not direct employment with Austin Street Center. All applications for this position must be reviewed and approved by CitySquare AmeriCorps, and service opportunities are limited to the length of time listed in this posting.***
We live in a digital world, and our clients experiencing homelessness often feel left out and left behind. Job applications, apartment searches, connecting with family and friends…all of it happens online these days, and many of our clients struggle to even use a mouse! Our Computer Lab is open five days a week to provide access to online resources, but what expands our impact is the personalized and friendly assistance given by our Computer Lab Specialist. This position not only opens and closes the lab, but also keeps performance data current and navigates clients to job, housing, and other resources in the digital world. Are you a tech savvy person who longs to share your knowledge with others who desperately need it? Do you want to take an amazing service to the next level? This may be the right fit for you!
- Open and close the computer lab, keep it clean, and input data regarding client activities and assistance provided.
- Assist clients to utilize digital resources in any activity that helps them move out of the shelter and into a home.
- Connect clients to other services within Austin Street that can assist them to be re-housed as quickly and permanently as possible, based upon the client’s expressed and felt needs.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Texas Driver’s License or State ID
- Ability to lift 25-40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting, and carrying heavy items.
- Customer service skills, especially when working with “difficult” customers
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Intermediate ability in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Additional Experience a Plus
- Work or volunteer experience in the homeless services field
- Bilingual in Spanish
- College coursework in Human Services field (psychology, sociology, social work, etc.)
- CPR-AED-First Aid Training
- Military service
Qualified Individuals: Please apply at www.citysquare.org/becomeamember/ and state in your application that you want to work at Austin Street Center! No phone calls, please.