Hours: 10:00am-6:00pm on Monday – Friday
Immediate Supervisor: Assistant Director of Programs
Department: Client Services
Homelessness and health care are inextricably linked in a properly-functioning system of care. People experiencing homelessness contract illnesses and are sometimes caught in a cycle of going back and forth from the hospital to homelessness, never getting well enough to take steps forward to housing. Austin Street Center is beginning a ground-breaking program called “medical respite” by partnering with a local hospital and a housing provider to shelter people with serious health conditions and rapidly connect them to housing solutions. This evidence-based program will be the first of its kind in our area!
This position will assist people with serious medical conditions to restore their identification documents and connect them to housing solutions while helping them to maintain stable shelter, preventing a return to the streets or the hospital’s emergency systems.
We are looking for a smart, determined, hard-working, and detail-oriented professional with nerves of steel who can handle the demands of a vulnerable and challenging client environment. Do you stay focused and on track when chaos is all around you? Can you inspire vulnerable and sometimes difficult individuals to achieve the impossible? This position might be for you!
• Program Case Management: assist program participants one-on-one to gather and upload documentation necessary for placement on the Housing Priority List, draft an individualized move-out plan, and connect program participants to housing possibilities
• Generalist Case Management: assist large numbers of individuals in shelter to connect to resources necessary for them to be re-housed
• Data entry and quality management: document all services in the local Homeless Management Information System, including case notes and client enrollment and exit information with minimal missing data
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s Degree in social work or other human services field (psychology or sociology preferred)
• Valid Texas Driver’s License
• Ability to lift 25-40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting, and carrying heavy items.
• Customer service skills, especially when working with “difficult” customers
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to innovate and embrace best practices in shelter and housing services delivery
• Ability to adapt to change
• Ability to communicate clearly with outside providers and partners, especially health care providers
Additional Experience a Plus:
• Successful work or volunteer experience in homeless services
• Bilingual in Spanish
• Training in Housing First, Motivational Interviewing, the Transtheoretical Model of Change, Harm Reduction, and/or Trauma-Informed Care
• Master’s Degree in human services field, especially in social work
• U.S. Military service
Qualified individuals, please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Strong applications will include a cover letter which details how the applicant demonstrates the character qualities and specific experience required for excellent performance in this position.