Hours: 11:00am-7:00pm on Tuesday – Saturday
Immediate Supervisor: Assistant Director of Programs
Department: Client Services
Work is the fastest way out of poverty and homelessness, and Austin Street at any given time has about 10% of its population in full-time jobs. But there are many clients who want to work, but struggle to find a job due to their mental health barriers encountered in homelessness. The Employment Navigation Case Manager will work with a small caseload of clients who are suffering from mental illnesses and who are looking for work. They will work closely with our Employment and Education Resource Center to assist those high-barrier clients to find living-wage employment as soon as possible to finance their move out of the shelter and into a home, providing individualized, housing-focused case management assistance to their caseload as well as assisting with housing coordination activities such as ID Restoration and Move-Out Consultation to the shelter at large.
We are looking for a smart, determined, hard-working, and detail-oriented professional with nerves of steel who can handle the demands of a vulnerable and challenging client environment. Do you stay focused and on track when chaos is all around you? Can you inspire vulnerable and sometimes difficult individuals to achieve the impossible? This position might be for you!
• Program Case Management: assist program participants one-on-one to gather and upload documentation necessary for placement on the Housing Priority List, draft an individualized move-out plan, and connect program participants to housing possibilities
• Generalist Case Management: assist large numbers of individuals in shelter to connect to resources necessary for them to be re-housed
• Data entry and quality management: document all services in the local Homeless Management Information System, including case notes and client enrollment and exit information with minimal missing data
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s Degree in social work or other human services field (psychology or sociology preferred)
• Valid Texas Driver’s License
• Ability to lift 25-40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting, and carrying heavy items.
• Customer service skills, especially when working with “difficult” customers
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to innovate and embrace best practices in shelter and housing services delivery
• Ability to adapt to change
• Ability to communicate clearly with outside providers and partners, especially health care providers
Additional Experience a Plus:
• Successful work or volunteer experience in homeless services
• Bilingual in Spanish
• Training in Housing First, Motivational Interviewing, the Transtheoretical Model of Change, Harm Reduction, and/or Trauma-Informed Care
• Master’s Degree in human services field, especially in social work
• U.S. Military service
Qualified individuals, please send a resume to email@example.com.
Strong applications will include a cover letter which details how the applicant demonstrates the character qualities and specific experience required for excellent performance in this position.