Position: Case Manager: Housing Coordination-Complex Needs
Hours: 11am-7pm, Monday-Friday
Immediate Supervisor: Assistant Director of Programs
Department: Client Services
Living without a place to call “home” is one of the most disorienting, confusing, and traumatic experiences a person can go through. Our most vulnerable clients lack the social networks, emotional coping skills, and resources to end their homelessness, and they need help to get out. The Complex Needs Case Manager will work with multiple individuals experiencing homelessness as well as other complex disorders such as severe mental illness, dementia, and traumatic brain injury, and assist them to stabilize their health care and end their homelessness as quickly and permanently as possible. They will provide individualized, housing-focused case management assistance to a small caseload as well as assist with housing coordination activities such as ID Restoration and Housing Navigation to the shelter at large.
We are looking for a compassionate, competent, and detail-oriented social work professional with nerves of steel who can handle the demands of a crisis-filled and ever-changing client environment. Do you stay focused and on track when chaos is all around you? Can you inspire vulnerable and sometimes difficult individuals to achieve the impossible? This position might be for you!
• Individual Case Management: assist program participants one-on-one to gather and upload documentation necessary for placement on the Housing Priority List, draft an individualized move-out plan, and connect participants to housing possibilities
• Housing-Focused Case Management: assist large numbers of individuals in shelter to connect to resources necessary for them to be re-housed
• Data entry and quality management: document all services in the local HMIS system, including case notes and client enrollment and exit information with minimal missing data
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s Degree in social work
• Valid Texas Driver’s License
• Ability to lift 25-40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting, and carrying heavy items.
• Customer service skills, especially when working with “difficult” customers
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to innovate and embrace best practices in shelter and housing services delivery
• Ability to adapt to change
• Ability to communicate clearly with outside providers and partners, especially health care providers
Additional Experience a Plus:
• At least 3 years’ work or volunteer experience in homeless services
• Bilingual in Spanish
• Training in Housing First, Motivational Interviewing, Transtheoretical Model of Change, Harm Reduction, and/or Trauma-Informed Care
• Master’s Degree in human services field, especially in social work
• Military service
Qualified Individuals: Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Austin Street Center is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.