Position: Case Manager – Diversion
Hours: Monday – Friday, various shifts possible between 8am – 8pm
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Client Services
Program: Client Services – Diversion
Diversion is an innovative, best-practice service which seeks to assist newly homeless clients to exit the shelter into a home as quickly as possible. Though this practice is sweeping the nation, it is a new service for our county. The Diversion Case Manager will meet with clients who just arrived at the shelter and help them to develop a “Right Now Move-Out Plan” immediately upon their entry into shelter, crafting an individualized exit plan to make their stay in homelessness as short as is possible. We need a person who is smart, determined, and hard-working, with a strong bias for action coupled with Sherlock Holmes-level problem-solving skills to assess our clients quickly and connect them to rapid exit options as fast as possible. Are you looking for an exciting and unique challenge in a one-of-a-kind program with the potential to lead massive change in our shelter and our community? This position might be for you!
• Client Engagement: engage and screen clients immediately upon their accessing the shelter and leverage their assets and strengths to exit the shelter quickly into a home through family reunification, rental unit searching, and roommate matching. Develop a Right Now Move-Out Plan with high-barrier clients to chart their path to exiting homelessness if diversion from shelter is not possible.
• Resource Development: locate housing options and create partnerships to execute efficient and effective referrals to secondary and non-traditional rental units.
• Service Connection: direct high-barrier clients with a potential for a long shelter stay to services within Austin Street and the community to end their homelessness as quickly and permanently as possible.
• Data Entry and Quality Management: document all services in the local HMIS system, including case notes and client enrollment/exit with minimal missing data.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s Degree in social work or other human services field (psychology or sociology preferred)
• Valid Texas Driver’s License
• Ability to lift 25-40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting, and carrying heavy items.
• Customer service skills, especially when working with “difficult” customers
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to innovate and embrace best practices in shelter and housing services delivery
• Ability to adapt to change
• Ability to communicate clearly with outside providers and partners
Additional Experience a Plus:
• Successful work or volunteer experience in homeless services
• Bilingual in Spanish
• Training in Housing First, Motivational Interviewing, the Transtheoretical Model of Change, Harm Reduction, and/or Trauma-Informed Care
• Master’s Degree in human services field, especially in social work
• U.S. Military service
Strong applications will include a cover letter which details how the applicant demonstrates the character qualities required for excellent performance in this position.
Austin Street Center is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.