Position: Case Manager – Diversion
Hours: Monday – Friday, various shifts possible between 8am – 8pm
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Client Services
Program: Client Services – Diversion
Diversion is an innovative, best-practice service which seeks to assist newly homeless clients to exit the shelter into a home as quickly as possible. Though this practice is sweeping the nation, it is a new service for our county. The Diversion Case Manager will meet with clients who just arrived at the shelter and help them to develop a “Right Now Move-Out Plan” immediately upon their entry into shelter, crafting an individualized exit plan to make their stay in homelessness as short as is possible. We need a person who is smart, determined, and hard-working, with a strong bias for action coupled with Sherlock Holmes-level problem-solving skills to assess our clients quickly and connect them to rapid exit options as fast as possible. Are you looking for an exciting and unique challenge in a one-of-a-kind program with the potential to lead massive change in our shelter and our community? This position might be for you!
• Client Engagement: engage and screen clients immediately upon their accessing the shelter and leverage their assets and strengths to exit the shelter quickly into a home through family reunification, rental unit searching, and roommate matching. Develop a Right Now Move-Out Plan with high-barrier clients to chart their path to exiting homelessness if diversion from shelter is not possible.
• Resource Development: locate housing options and create partnerships to execute efficient and effective referrals to secondary and non-traditional rental units.
• Service Connection: direct high-barrier clients with a potential for a long shelter stay to services within Austin Street and the community to end their homelessness as quickly and permanently as possible.
• Data Entry and Quality Management: document all services in the local HMIS system, including case notes and client enrollment/exit with minimal missing data.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s Degree in social work or other human services field (psychology or sociology preferred)
• Valid Texas Driver’s License
• Ability to lift 25-40 pounds. Tasks may involve bending, lifting, and carrying heavy items.
• Customer service skills, especially when working with “difficult” customers
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to innovate and embrace best practices in shelter and housing services delivery
• Ability to adapt to change
• Ability to communicate clearly with outside providers and partners
Additional Experience a Plus:
• Successful work or volunteer experience in homeless services
• Bilingual in Spanish
• Training in Housing First, Motivational Interviewing, the Transtheoretical Model of Change, Harm Reduction, and/or Trauma-Informed Care
• Master’s Degree in human services field, especially in social work
• U.S. Military service
Qualified individuals, please send a resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Strong applications will include a cover letter which details how the applicant demonstrates the character qualities required for excellent performance in this position.